NHS Dorset does not require consent to carry out any assessments nor to gather any evidence/information required to assess eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care. However, NHS Dorset does need consent to share information with family members or others who are not health and social care practitioners. If an individual is unable to sign the consent form, NHS Dorset will accept a signature from a person who is legally entitled to represent the individual, i.e. a person with parental responsibility, a person named in the Lasting Power of Attorney document, or the Grant of Probate, a deputy appointed by the Court of Protection or named in the best interest decision form. In all circumstances NHS Dorset will require supporting legal evidence for any signature on the consent form other than the individual’s own. Please refer to our data privacy notice and consent leaflet for further information .

The lawful basis for the processing of personal and healthcare data for NHS continuing healthcare is contained within articles 6 (1) (e) and 9 (2) (h) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) as enacted by the Data Protection Act 2018. We also collect information about individuals who undergo the NHS continuing healthcare assessment process (including personal data), for the NHS Continuing Healthcare Patient Level Data Set (PLDS). The lawful basis for collecting this information is article 6 (1) (c) of the UK GDPR enacted by the Data Protection Act 2018.

Our team works with individuals who need extra health support or services above those normally provided by the NHS. Individuals who receive these services will have been assessed and as part of this assessment health and social care records will have been requested. NHS Dorset are not responsible for the quality of data and information contained within them.

NHS Dorset are unable to amend any third-party records that are provided as part of the assessment process but will ensure as part of the assessment process any inaccuracies are noted. Should the data need correcting the individual being assessed or their representative should contact the relevant agency who supplied the information to request that it be corrected.