With industrial action planned for early next week and high demand for services continuing, local clinicians are asking people to choose well if they need medical help over the weekend.

If you do become ill, please use 111.nhs.uk or call 111 for help or advice.

Due to high demand, it may take longer than usual to get through on the phone, but please be assured your call will be answered and if you need treatment, you will be directed to the most appropriate service.

If face-to-face support is required, an appointment may be booked at a local Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) or Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC). While you can simply turn up at an MIU or UTC, you may be offered an appointment later that day (or the next) or signposted elsewhere, depending on your needs.

Minor Injuries Units can help with injuries that are not life-threatening such as sprains, minor burns and broken bones.

Make use of your local pharmacy

Pharmacists and their teams are an essential part of the NHS are doing their best to provide you with the medicines and advice you need.

To find your nearest pharmacy and check opening hours visit www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-pharmacy.

If you or someone you are with has an emergency or is in a life-threatening situation, don’t hesitate call 999.

For more information on which service to use and when, visit nhs.uk.

Think home not hospital

If you, a family member, or friend are being admitted to hospital, start to think about what will happen when you leave.

Please think ahead of any changes that could be made at home or any family and friends who might help to get you or your relative home as soon as possible.

Due to the extreme demands that hospitals continue to face, people may be asked to transfer to an alternative care setting out of hospital after their treatment, to start their recovery.

This is necessary so that space can be made available for the next person who needs hospital treatment.

Anyone who is likely to be affected will be informed at the earliest opportunity, and staff will work with families to support any decisions that need to be made.